If you’re a teacher’s assistant or a professor looking for good debate topics for your students, you have come to the right place. Or, if you’re a typical college student who is looking for the best way to stir up some intellectual conversations for a Friday evening, look no further.
There are plenty of topics which you can debate about amongst your friends and classmates.
Debating is a great way you can learn more about different perspectives, new situations, and engage in a thoughtful conversation.
What if you want to add a little humor to the discussion?
Well, fear not – GenTwenty has gotten you covered with many interesting debate topics including a funny debate topic or two. We have split them up into sections just in case you’re more passionate about certain subject matters.
The best debate topics leave room for two-or-more sides, deeper conversation, and perhaps even a shift in point of view. A good topic is one people can relate to and learn from.
However, when selecting a debate topic, it is best to be sure that the topic does not offend anyone and is suitable for your assignment or event. And if you are looking for help, for say, someone to help me write my essay, there’s no shame in reaching out for resources that can help you reach your goals and get other perspectives.
If the debate topic is a controversial issue, such as abortion or the death penalty, make sure you are suitably equipped to talk about it in a thoughtful, respectful way.
Moreover, you should also do your own research before crafting your own opinion. As a result, you can analyze both sides of the issue before picking your own side.
We’ve focused more on fun debate topics and easy debate topics to get you started rather than controversial topics, but that isn’t to say you shouldn’t explore deeper issues!
99 Debate Topics for College Students
If you’re looking to get started, here are plenty of debate topics for your argumentative session:
These debate topics for college students will be fresh in the mind if they have just graduated from high school.
1. Why Prom should be open to all high school students
2. Why we should care less about our high school selves
3. Why the boyfriend in high school shouldn’t be our boyfriend in college
4. Why every high school should have a restaurant instead of a cafeteria
5. Why we should select our own courses in high school
6. Why we should skip school on our birthdays
7. Why homework should be banned from schools
8. How can standardized testing be replaced
9. Why extracurriculars are way too hyped and overrated
10. Should public schools have sex education class as a requirement to graduate
11. Is it a good idea to let students keep their mobile phones on all day
12. Should the voting age be lowered to 16
These are particularly interesting for younger college students.
1. Why College is the “new high school”
2. Why college students are the absolute worst to have on a morning bus
3. Why our 8:00 am classes should be online instead
4. Why every college should be near a park
5. Why every college should have a coffee shop on every corner of the campus
6. Why should every student live on-campus
7. Why should every student go to sleep before 12:00 am
8. Why we shouldn’t enter college until we are 22
9. What should minimum wage be
10. Should a college education be a job requirement
11. Should college in the United States be free or lower cost?
12. Is higher education overvalued in the job industry?
These range from silly to serious.
1. Are cereals soup
2. Why Oreos are the best cookies ever
3. Why we should put pineapple on our pizza
4. Why Starbucks is better than any other fancy coffee shop
5. Why the ice cream truck is still the best
6. Why tea is better than coffee
7. Why chips are better than cookies
9. Why fast food restaurants are always better than fine dine restaurants
10. Why there needs to be more dessert-based restaurants
11. Why bento boxes are better than charcuterie boards
12. Why bubble tea is a smoothie
13. Why we should classify bubble tea as a dessert instead.
14. Why we should classify ice cream as a frozen yogurt
15. What really qualifies as junk food
Another topical idea with silly ideas (like number 1) and deeper topics (like number 9).
1. Why short coats are better than long coats
2. Why Crocs are better than flip flops
3. Should we wear snowpants in a blizzard
4. Should there be a maximum number of tattoos
5. Should we ban school uniforms
6. Why we should wear chunky shoes
7. Why it’s good to dress in one-color outfits
8. Why laundry prices are too expensive
9. Why people under the age of 18 shouldn’t be allowed to model for runways
10. Should animal testing be banned in the makeup industry
Film is always a popular debate topic for college students as it is generally very relevant.
1. Why Disney isn’t only for children.
2. Why Anna is better than Elsa for Frozen
3. Why Hans is like almost every guy you meet in college
4. Why Marvel is better than DC Comics
5. Why animated films are always better than movies with actors and props
6. Why cartoons are always better than real-life action movies
7. Why Monster’s University does not accurately represent college life
8. Why Friends is better than How I Met Your Mother
9. Why Vampire Diaries is Better than Twilight
10. Would you rather be a Disney princess or a Marvel superhero
One of our personal favorite topics, these ideas cover goals and personality traits.
1. Why you shouldn’t pick a major based on your career
2. Why hard work always defines success
3. Why luck always defines success
4. Why being an introvert is better than being an extrovert
5. Why we need to plan more according to the flow of things
6. Who would you rather be: A CEO of a company or a founder of a non-profit organization
7. Why you should never date your boss
8. Why there should be no hierarchy at work
9. Why we should use our phones at work
10. Why companies should offer to help us pay back our student loans
11. Why companies should offer cell phones to their employees
These could get heated.
1. Why you shouldn’t kiss on your first date
2. Why you should leave a guy as soon as he calls a girl “hot” in front of you
3 Why you should kiss with your eyes wide open
4. Why should you find a different way of confessing your interest to another person other than saying “I like you”
5. Why every couple needs at least 3 matching outfits
6. Why love isn’t the most important aspect in every relationship
8. Why you shouldn’t marry your high school sweetheart
9. Why you shouldn’t blast your relationship on social media
10. Why you should date someone intelligent
11. Why you should date someone younger than you
12. Should same-sex marriage be legal or illegal
Introduce a debate on everyone’s favorite topic: social media.
1. Why you shouldn’t be an influencer
2. Does social media affect our communication skills in a negative or a positive manner
3. Why it is better to become Instagram famous than being TikTok famous
4. Why we need to bring back Facebook
5. Why we need to bring back Myspace
6. Why every college needs their own social media site
7. Why violent video games should / should not be more regulated
8. Should middle school aged children be allowed to have social media profiles
Science topics are particularly interesting in the age of global warming.
1. Which planet would you want to visit and why
2. What should the “Milky Way Galaxy” also be called
3. Should we rename ‘Earth’? Why or Why Not
4. Should Newton’s three laws be renamed
5. Would you rather develop or program a robot that can counsel a friend or take care of your pet
6. Is there a difference between climate change and global warming
7. Should human cloning be more researched
8. Can fossil fuels be completely replaced with green energy?
9. Can artificial intelligence software replace workers?
In Summary: Debate Topics For College Students
And there you have it! Feel free to use any of these interesting topics for a debate assignment as long as you consult with your professor about the criteria for the classroom debate.
Also, feel free to deepen your current understanding on some of these issues – you never know what you’ll learn after a good debate session.
Learning more about current debate topics can be a great way to practice public speaking or develop more critical thinking skills. But at the end, remember to have fun and enjoy the process.
Other College Posts You Might Like:
- 30 Activities For College Students
- The Best Summer Jobs for College Students
- 50 Short Term Goals For College
- 100 College Event Ideas for Students on Campus 
- 20 Best Dorm Shopping Websites For College Students
- The Best Router For a College Apartment and Dorm 
- Best College for Dermatology – Top 12
- 7 Activities for College Students To De-Stress
- 14 Best Ways To Organize For College Classes
- 15 Cute Backpacks For College Students
- 100+ College Party Ideas
- How Many Weeks in a Semester of College?
- 5 Birthday Party Themes For Your 21st Birthday
- 90+ 20th Birthday Quotes For Instagram
- 70+ Academic Goals for College
- 50 Best Movies For College Students
- 30 Best Places To Volunteer For College Applications
- Advice For New College Students: 30+ Tips
- 75 College Date Ideas (That Won’t Break the Bank)
- 23 Proud Graduation Quotes for a College Graduation
- 5 Agenda Books For College Students (2023)
- 47 Extracurricular Activities To Put On Your College Application
- 4 Sample Email to College Admissions Office
- 10 Perfect Gifts For MBA Students
- 32 Fraternity Party Theme Ideas
- 117 Good College Private Story Names
- Best Devotionals For College Students
- 10 Best Backpacks for a College Girl
- 75 Best Christmas Gifts For College Girls
- 60 Christmas Gifts For College Sister
- 99 Debate Topics for College Students
- 100 College Graduation Cap Ideas
- 7 Best College Care Packages – Ideas for Students
- Ultimate List of Goals For Students – 100 Smart Examples