The top sustainable yoga clothes brands are Girlfriend Collective, Wolve, tentree, and Boody! Try these ethical brands today and change your yoga practice forever.
Yoga is great, right? For a lot of us, it is a wonderful way to improve our physical and mental well-being. But did you know that it can also have a positive impact on the environment? It all starts with your yoga clothes.
When you choose sustainable yoga clothes, you get to support brands that care about the planet. At the same time, you also reduce your own ecological footprint.
In this article, we will explore what makes yoga apparel sustainable. We’ll also show you how to find the best eco-friendly brands and how to care for your sustainable yoga clothes.
Links in this post may be affiliate. Thank you for supporting this resource.
The Top 10 Sustainable Yoga Clothes Brands
Use the first link to learn more about the brands that top our list. Click the second link to go to their website and shop.
- Girlfriend Collective | Shop here
- Wolven | Shop here
- tentree | Shop here
- Yoga Democracy | Shop here
- prAna | Shop here
- Patagonia | Shop here
- Manduka | Shop here
- Indigo Luna | Shop here
- Boody | Shop here
- Reprise | Shop here
What Makes Yoga Clothes Sustainable?
Sustainable yoga clothes are clothes that are designed and made sustainably. This means their production causes minimal harm to the environment and improves the lives of the people who made them.
Most sustainable yoga clothes are made using materials like certified organic cotton, bamboo, hemp, and recycled polyester. They are also dyed with non-toxic dyes. The factories that make them are also ethical and fair-trade factories.
Sustainable yoga clothes have several advantages over conventional ones:
- More comfortable: Sustainable fabrics are softer, more breathable, and gentler on your skin. They are also better at regulating your body temperature better and preventing odors.
- More durable: They are made to last longer. They also retain their shape and color better than cheaply made clothes.
- More stylish: They come in a wide variety of colors, patterns, and designs. You can find anything from classic black yoga leggings to vibrant prints.
- More ethical: Sustainable yoga clothes support sustainable brands. These companies respect human rights, animal welfare, and social justice.
How To Find the Best Sustainable Yoga Brands
There are many factors to consider when choosing sustainable yoga brands. Here are some of them:
- Check the labels: Look for information about the materials, certifications, and origin of the products. Some common certifications to look for are Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), Global Recycled Standard (GRS), Fair Trade Certified, or Bluesign Approved.
- Do some research: Visit the websites of the brands you are interested. Learn as much as you can about who they are and what they believe in. You can also read reviews from other customers to get an idea of their quality.
- Try them on: If possible, visit a local store that carries sustainable yoga brands and try them on before buying. This way, you’ll know exactly what you are spending your money on.
- Support small businesses: Many sustainable yoga brands are small businesses that need your support to grow and thrive. By buying from them, you are helping them create more jobs, invest in their communities, and innovate.
The Top 10 Ethical and Sustainable Yoga Clothes Brands
To help you get started on your search for sustainable yoga clothes, we have compiled a list of some of the best brands you can buy from today. These brands are not only eco-friendly but also offer high-quality, stylish, and inclusive products:
Price Range: $28–$92
Size Range: XXS-6XL
Certifications: SA8000-certified factory, OEKO-TEX-certified
Girlfriend Collective is a women-owned brand that makes sustainable yoga clothing including leggings, sports bras, tops, crop tops, shorts, and more from recycled water bottles and fishing nets.
The company also has a recycling program where you can send back your old clothes for a discount on new ones. Girlfriend Collective is known for its size-inclusive and body-positive approach, offering sizes from XXS to 6XL.
They also have a diverse range of colors and styles to suit different preferences. You can find anything from neutral organic basics to bright hues and tie-dye patterns.
Price Range: $36.40 – $128
Size Range: S-2XL
Certifications: Climate Neutral Certified, EcoCart, 1% For The Planet, Clean Hub, Workplace Conditions Assessment, Global Recycled Standard, OKEO-TEX Standard 100
Wolven Threads is a brand that creates vibrant and reversible activewear from recycled plastic bottles. They also plant a tree for every sale and donate 1% of their revenue to environmental causes.
Wolven’s yoga clothing is inspired by nature and art. They create beautiful designs that reflect the beauty of the earth to inspire positive change.
Their products are also versatile and functional, allowing you to wear them for yoga, swimming, hiking, and more. You can mix and match their pieces to create different looks.
Price Range: $40–$88
Size Range: XS-XL (some XXL)
Certifications: Certified B-Corp, WRAP, BSCI, SA8000, Fair Wear Foundation, Climate Neutral Certified,
Tentree set out to change the fashion industry and they are doing just that. They plants ten trees for every item purchased. They engage an Earth-first approach through all of their manufacturing and source sustainable materials and natural fabrics in their clothing production. These eco-friendly fabrics include hemp, kapock, and organic cotton.
They also make clothing from organic Tencel, recycled polyester, and other sustainable fabrics. tentree also has a transparent supply chain and ethical production standards and their own Code of Conduct.
The brand is more than just a clothing brand; it is a movement to inspire people to protect the planet. They use their platform to educate their customers about environmental issues and empower them to take action. They also have a mobile app that allows you to track your impact and see where your trees are planted.
I personally love their biker shorts and sport bras. I find them to be very comfortable and supportive for most fitness activities.
Yoga Democracy is a brand that makes colorful and flattering leggings, tops, shorts, and bras from recycled plastic bottles and fishing nets. They also use waterless dyeing technology and manufacture their products in the USA.
This company is celebrating individuality and creativity through their unique designs. They collaborate with artists and designers to create original artwork for their products. They also have a custom option where you can design your own leggings or crop top with your favorite colors and images.
Price Range: $35–$140
Size Range: XXS-XXL (some 1x-3x)
prAna is a brand that offers a wide range of clothing for yoga and everyday wear. They use organic cotton, hemp, recycled polyester, and other eco-friendly materials. They also have Fair Trade Certified factories and support various social initiatives.
The company is committed to creating clothing that is both stylish and sustainable, without compromising on quality. They also have a variety of options for men and women, from sustainable yoga pants to tops to accessories and everything in between.
Price Range: $69-$129
Size Range: XXS-XL
Patagonia is a well-known brand that makes clothing for outdoor activities, including yoga. They use organic cotton, recycled polyester, recycled nylon, and other eco-friendly materials. They also have a repair program, a recycling program, and a social responsibility program.
Patagonia is one of the pioneers of sustainable fashion, having been in the industry since 1973. They are constantly innovating and improving their products to reduce their environmental impact and increase their functionality. They also support various environmental and social causes through their grants and campaigns.
Price Range: $54–$198
Size Range: XSS-XXL
Vuori, a prominent activewear brand, has revolutionized yoga apparel with their distinctive blend of functionality, style, and sustainability. The essence of Vuori’s yoga clothes lies in their thoughtful design, meticulously crafted to support both the practice and the lifestyle of the modern yogi.
Crafted from premium, eco-friendly materials, Vuori’s yoga clothing strikes a balance between comfort and performance. The fabrics are not only soft against the skin but also boast moisture-wicking properties, ensuring a dry and comfortable experience even during the most intense sessions.
What sets Vuori apart is their commitment to versatility. Their yoga clothes seamlessly transition from the studio to the street, embodying a fusion of fashion-forward aesthetics and athletic functionality. The sleek lines and contemporary designs effortlessly elevate the yogi’s wardrobe, making a statement of both purpose and style.
Furthermore, Vuori places a strong emphasis on sustainability. The brand integrates recycled materials and eco-conscious practices into their production, reflecting a dedication to minimizing environmental impact. This conscientious approach to fashion resonates with mindful consumers seeking sustainable choices in their activewear.
In essence, Vuori’s yoga clothes encapsulate a holistic approach to wellness. They are more than just garments; they are an embodiment of a balanced, conscious lifestyle. Whether you’re flowing through asanas or navigating the demands of daily life, Vuori’s yoga clothes empower you to move with grace, comfort, and purpose.
Price Range: $49-$129
Size Range: XXS-3XL
Indigo Luna is a brand that creates ethical and eco-friendly yoga clothes from organic cotton, bamboo, and natural dyes. They also use a zero-waste and low-impact production process and work with small family-run businesses in Bali and India.
Indigo Luna is a brand that celebrates the beauty and simplicity of nature through their products. They use earthy tones and minimal designs to create a calm and serene aesthetic. They also have a range of products for both women and men.
Price Range: $43.95–$84.95
Size Range: XS-XL
Boody is a brand that makes soft and comfortable clothing from organic bamboo. They also use natural materials as well as organic dyes in their production. They also have recycled packaging and only use renewable energy sources.
They also have a certification from Ecocert, which verifies their organic and sustainable standards. Boody is a brand that focuses on providing clothing that is good for your skin and the planet. Their products are hypoallergenic, antibacterial, odor-resistant, and moisture-wicking. They also have products for women, men, babies, and kids.
Price Range: $55–$209
Size Range: XS-6X
Reprise Activewear is a brand that makes plant-based activewear from organic cotton and Tencel. They also use natural rubber for their elastic bands and coconut shell buttons for their details. They also avoid any synthetic fabrics or toxic chemicals in their products.
This brand aims to create activewear that is gentle on your skin and the environment. Their products are breathable, soft, and stretchy, making them ideal for yoga or any other physical activity. They have products for women only, including leggings, bras, tops, jumpsuits, and jackets.
What Certifications To Look For
When looking for ethical and sustainable clothing brands, it’s important to consider various certifications and labels that indicate a commitment to responsible practices. Here are some of the key certifications to look for:
- Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS): This certification ensures that textiles are produced in an environmentally and socially responsible manner from organic materials. It covers the entire supply chain, from harvesting of raw materials to production, labeling, and distribution.
- Fair Trade Certified: This certification focuses on fair labor practices, ensuring that workers are paid fair wages and work in safe conditions. It also supports community development projects.
- OEKO-TEX Standard 100: This certification verifies that textiles and dyes used in production are free from harmful chemicals and substances. It’s particularly important for ensuring that clothing is safe for consumers.
- Bluesign: This system evaluates and certifies the environmental impact of materials and processes used in textile production. It focuses on resource efficiency, consumer safety, and reducing emissions.
- Cradle to Cradle (C2C) Certification: This certification evaluates products and materials for their sustainability across their entire lifecycle, from production to disposal. It encourages closed-loop systems.
- B Corp Certification: This certification is given to companies that meet high standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. It’s a broader certification that covers various industries, including fashion.
- SA8000: This is a social accountability standard focused on decent working conditions. It addresses issues such as child labor, forced labor, health and safety, freedom of association, discrimination, and more.
- PETA Approved Vegan: This label ensures that a brand or product does not use any animal-derived materials or involve animal testing.
- Carbon Trust Standard for Product Carbon Footprint: This evaluates and certifies the carbon footprint of a product, including clothing. It’s an important certification for brands aiming to reduce their environmental impact.
- Responsible Down Standard (RDS): If you’re looking for products with down (feathers), the RDS ensures that the down used is sourced from animals that have not been subjected to unnecessary harm.
- LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Certification: While this is typically associated with buildings, some fashion brands may also have LEED-certified facilities or operations.
- Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals (ZDHC): This is a program aimed at reducing the use of hazardous chemicals in the textile and footwear industries.
Remember that a single certification might not cover all aspects of ethical and sustainable practices. It’s often beneficial to look for brands that have multiple certifications or transparently disclose their practices and efforts in sustainability reports.
Additionally, consider looking for brands that are actively engaged in industry initiatives and collaborations focused on sustainability.
How To Care For Your Sustainable Yoga Clothes
We’ve established that sustainable yoga clothes are great for both the environment and you. However, they still need some special care and attention to maintain their quality and appearance. Here is how to care for them:
Since they are made from natural or recycled materials, they are more delicate than synthetic clothes. It is important to wash them gently and avoid harsh detergents. You can either hand wash them with warm water and mild soap or use a gentle cycle on your washing machine with cold water and eco-friendly detergent.
It is best to air dry them as opposed to tumble drying. This helps to preserve their shape and elasticity and prevent shrinkage. Avoid direct sunlight or heat sources that can cause fading.
Sustainable yoga clothes should be stored in a dry and clean place away from dust or moisture. Fold them neatly in a drawer or closet or roll them up to save space.
How To Style Your Sustainable Yoga Clothes For Different Occassions
Sustainable yoga clothes are not just for yoga. You can also use them for several other occasions. Mix and match them with other pieces in your wardrobe to create different looks. Here are a few ideas:
- For a casual day out, pair your leggings with a loose t-shirt, a denim jacket, and sneakers. Accessorize with a hat and sunglasses.
- For a work-from-home day, wear leggings with a cozy sweater or a blazer. You can also add some jewelry or a belt to dress it up.
- For a date night, you can wear your leggings with a crop top. Spice your look up with some heels, a clutch, or a statement necklace.
- For a winter day, layer your leggings or yoga pants with wool socks, boots, and a coat. Add some gloves, a beanie, and a scarf to keep warm.
- For a summer day, wear yoga shorts with a tank top or a bikini top. You can also add some sandals and a hat to stay cool.
Final Thoughts on Finding Sustainable Yoga Clothes Brands
Yoga is all about being in harmony with yourself. Sustainable and ethical yoga clothes are a great way to practice it and experience harmony with nature as well. You’ll love how these clothes are comfortable, durable, and super stylish. They are also ethically made, and when you buy them, you are supporting brands that care about the planet and the people.
Hopefully, with the recommendations offered here, you know exactly where to start if you have been thinking about getting sustainable yoga clothes. By choosing them, you can finally enjoy the benefits of yoga while also making a positive difference in the world. Good luck!
Non-Toxic Living Guides:
- Non-Toxic Outdoor Dinnerware For Healthy Eating
- Best Non-Toxic Tea Kettle for Your Kitchen 
- The Best Non-Toxic Dinnerware for Healthy Eating
- The Best Non-Toxic Baking Sheets 
- The Best Non-Toxic Sofas For Your Home
- 19 Affordable Non-Toxic Makeup Brands You Have To Try
- The Best Non-Toxic Cookware For Healthy Eating
- Best Non-Toxic Facial Moisturizer For All Skin Types
- The Best Non-Toxic Candles
- 15 Affordable Non-Toxic Skin Care Brands
- Best Organic Wine Club 
- 25 Non Toxic Indoor Plants – Safe For Pets & Kids
- 18 Best Non Toxic Body Lotion Picks 2023
- 8 Organic Cotton Padded Bra Options 
- 20 Best Organic Under Eye Concealer Picks 
- 30 Of The Best Gifts For Organic Lovers
- Best Organic Wine Club 
- 8 Best Places to Buy Organic Food Online
- 10 Best Organic Tea Brands (Top 10)
- 12 Affordable Eco Friendly Swimwear Brands
- 11 Best Non-Toxic Coffee Maker Picks 2023
- 10 Best Organic Flavored Coffee Brands 
- 15 Affordable Organic Clothing Brands
- 8 Best Organic Bamboo Sheets (2023)
- 12 Non-Toxic Food Storage Containers‘
- The 7 Best Non-Toxic Hair Dye Brands 
- Brand Directory