Let’s face it: being 21 was a fun and adventurous time in our lives. At 21-years old, we were finally of legal drinking age and still young enough that we were not expected to have it all figured out. The memories from being a 21-year old may seem great now, but I think most of us forget all the good things about being 28 years old.
Here are 10 reasons why we need to appreciate being in our late-twenties as opposed to our early-twenties:
- Not always looking for the next party – As a 21-year-old, going out and partying was what you did. There was a reason to go drinking every day of the week. You lived to drink and were always on the lookout for the next party. By age 28, you look forward to and enjoy a quiet night in with wine and cheesy reality shows.
- Friends are about quality not quantity – When you were 21, you probably had a very large pool of friends who were not always looking out for your best interests. By 28, you have weeded out the friends who were bad influences and created drama. The relationships with your friends now are something you work at and feel better about because you know they have your back.
- Comfortable being you – Gone are the days of comparing yourself to everyone around you. The urge to wonder who is skinnier, prettier, tanner, or richer doesn’t seem to matter as much as it once did. At 21, you were so worried about being the person you think you should be; by 28, you are finally comfortable in your own skin. You know who you are, what you want in life, and how to get it by being true to yourself.
- Money to travel- Most of us by now have full-time jobs. With these jobs come money and money means we can do fun things like travel. You finally have the means to go places you have always dreamed about from all over the world. So go explore!
- Healthy food over junk food – Pizza and beer no longer count as food groups and you finally know how to turn on the oven. We all love junk food but now you do not want to eat it for every meal. Fruit and vegetables are incorporated into your daily life by choice, not force. Plus, eating healthier means more wine at the end of the day (it’s good for your heart, after all!).
- Thinking before you act – Living in the moment and seeing where the next adventure took you was great, but it was often done without considering about the consequences. Now you actually think things through and don’t end up hung over, stranded in a strange place freaking out about your BIG meeting that is happening in 20 minutes.
- Our parents are actually wise – It was not long ago when you thought anything your parents had to say was nagging. You were an adult and you were convinced you had the world figured out. It is amazing how wrong we were. Now you know better and actually seek out advice from them and listen to what they have to say. Our parents have been through it all and we are barely getting started.
- No more crazies & losers – Number eight is for all the single 28-year-olds who have not found “the one” yet. After dating all the cheapskates, creepers, losers, assholes, and crazies one person can handle in a lifetime, you finally know what you want in a partner. That hot, bad guy/girl you always claimed was your type never lived up to the hype. Now your type is someone who makes you happy and respects you.
- Starting a family – This one is for all the married people out there. You are lucky enough to have the person you want to spend your life with. Now you have started your own family and traditions. There are few things more special than this, something you probably had no idea of when you were 21.
- People finally take you seriously – When you tell someone you are 21 years old they think you are a young, drunk, lost kid. Now at 28, people actually look at you like an adult and respect what you have to say when it comes to life and work.
For all of us in our late-twenties, let’s give a little break to our friends who are still in their early-twenties. It was not long ago we were in their shoes. Remember how exhausting that was? Not to worry, they will catch up soon.