Everybody needs a little inspiration in life no matter what the situation may be. Sometimes I need to get inspired to lead a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes I need to be inspired when it comes to writing for GenTwenty. Other times I just need to be inspired to get a project or errand done. Whatever the situation, inspiration doesn’t just happen sitting on your ass. It happens when you are out in the world and experiencing life.
Here are five ways to help get you inspired to tackle whatever endeavor lies ahead of you.
- Listen to a good song: You know what kind of song I am talking about. The kind of song that pumps you up. The kind of song that makes you want to get up and move. The kind that puts a smile or look of determination on you face. Athletes do this all the time. Before a big game they listen to a playlist that is going to pump them up and get them in “beast mode” for the game. Baseball players have a song they play every time they go up to bat. The announcers don’t pick their song, they do. They are not going to play a song that makes you want to fall asleep. They want to hear something that will make them envision that home run out to left field.
- Turn off all your devices for a few hours: Let’s face it no one ever really felt that inspired sitting in front of the TV while cruising through Facebook and Instagram. Sometimes all these devices are just distractions. They keep us from focusing on the things we need to. If I am ever feeling uninspired or distracted from a task I know I need to go to a place where I am free from all the noise. It is amazing the things your mind will start to come up with when you are forced to think without an electronic device in front of you.
- Get outside: If you are a creative person like me you know that sitting inside all day is no way to get a fun new idea. Sometimes it takes you stepping away from a project and getting out in the world to get past the hump or block you were having. Go for a walk. Take a hike or try doing some yoga, anything that will get you up and moving. There is something about nature that really can put your mind at ease. When you aren’t so focused on what you need to you can actually solve the problem at hand. Plus being active releases endorphins into the brain allowing more happy thoughts.
- Enjoy a good laugh with friends: Stop being so serious all the time. Laughter is the best medicine to improve your mood and help you get out of your own head. Laughter is said to boost your energy. So why not make plans with friends that you know will have you laughing? When I get around my girlfriends they can make me laugh to the point where I am crying. After a good laugh you can relax your mind and the ideas will flow.
- Volunteer somewhere: Sometimes to get inspired it takes stepping out of your own shoes and into someone else’s. I do this by volunteering. When I was unemployed after college I started volunteering for a group who helped teen moms finish their education and train them for jobs. I was so down on myself at the time and was no longer trying to look for jobs because I figured I could just work in a restaurant. But seeing these young girls going through things I could never imagine when I was their age inspired me to look for the job I wanted. And guess what? It worked. Sometimes you need to realize that though you are the center of your world, you are not the center of the universe.
Like I said we all need a little inspiration sometimes. Without it where would we be? You cannot go through life without out it. To me that is just resting on your laurels and leaving everything up to fate. Fate is not going to be the one who gets you that job, or be a better daughter or friend, or better writer. You are the only one who can do those things and without the inspiration to do it you will inevitably feel stuck in a rut.