Let’s face it: just about everyone is strapped for money these days. With rent, gas, groceries, student loans, credit cards, and who knows what other bills, you’re probably left with next to nothing to spend on yourself.
Good news, though, you don’t have to skimp on the self-care, folks! Whether you’re stressed out, trying to cheer yourself up, or just want to treat yourself, here’s a list of 20 ways to indulge in some self-care for under 20 bucks:
1. Give yourself a manicure. Who doesn’t love getting their nails professionally done? Sometimes, it’s just not doable. Get creative instead. Pick up a new color; add some polka dots, stripes, flowers, whatever you like.
2. Go to a matinee. Movies are outrageously expensive. Save a buck or two by heading to an early showing.
3. Grab some half priced appetizers. Lots of restaurants offer some tasty dishes for half the price during certain hours of the day. Try your local Applebee’s for good deals.
4. Buy a new book. A simple way to unwind and escape into another world. Check out our top picks here.
5. Take a bubble bath. Nothing beats a nice warm bubble bath with a sweet aroma!
6. Get some candles. Lighting candles is a subtle way to make the atmosphere seem more soothing.
7. Take a nap. It’s okay not to study or work sometimes. Rest, plain and simple.
8. Drink some tea. Aside from some hot tea being super tasty, it’s also amazing for you. Tea is loaded with antioxidants and is known to have other properties that can help boost your metabolism and even help lower your risk of certain health conditions. It’s tea time!
9. Call a friend. Need some cheering up? Feeling lonely? Call a pal and chat for a while. That’s what friends are for, after all.
10. Dress up for no reason. Give yourself a mini boost by dressing up for no reason whatsoever. Put on a cute dress, maybe some heels, and go on about your day, looking fancy.
11. Get yourself some flowers. A fresh batch of flowers is a sweet way to spoil yourself rotten.
12. Watch a favorite TV show or movie. Even if you’ve seen it a million times, watch it again. Laugh, cry, and enjoy.
13. Give yourself a facial. It’s easy, and your skin will love you for it.
14. Exercise. It’s free. It’s fun. It releases endorphins. It’s good for your health. And oh yeah, it’s free.
15. Have your own dance party. Doesn’t this just sound fun? It is. Turn up some tunes and let loose. Singing along strongly encouraged.
16. Play with a pet. Go to a park or curl up on the couch. Spend some time with your loyal friend who is bound to do something adorable that will make you smile.
17. Play an old game. Remember Life? Connect Four? Hungry Hippo? It doesn’t have to be crazy competitive. Just have fun.
19. Create something. Write, draw, paint, fold, sculpt, color, sew. Use your imagination.
20. Go to the beach. It’s summer time! You may have to pay for parking, but it will be worth it. Promise.
Think outside the box and do something nice for yourself, even if it’s small. What are you waiting for? Ready, set, pamper!