Are you wondering how to clean your new bamboo pillow? Here is an easy simple guide for you to follow!
When a pillow is made of bamboo, it’s most often referring to the bamboo pillow cover of a bamboo memory foam pillow. Using a bamboo pillow is an easy non-toxic swap you can make.
Bamboo fiber is a sustainable resource that has many benefits, including:
- more earth-friendly
- non-toxic fabric and fibers
- naturally hypoallergenic
- resistant to bacteria and other harmful microbes
- free of harmful chemicals and dyes
- maintain a comfortable sleeping temperature
When you choose to use a bamboo cover and bamboo fabric, you are making a great choice for yourself and for the planet! An adjustable bamboo pillow can also provide health benefits like reducing snoring.
The first time you wash you bamboo pillow can be confusing. You don’t want to ruin your new pillow or its memory foam filling! Here is a simple guide to make sure you get your bamboo pillow looking and smelling fresh, without ruining the pillow itself.
The best bamboo pillow:
The best bamboo pillow on the market is the Silk Pillow from Cozy Earth. Cozy Earth’s pillow fill is designed to never divide or shift, making it easier to care for. Plus it is Certified Green and has a 10 year warranty.
Their bamboo products, including their sheets and comforter, are moisture wicking, temperature regulating, hypoallergenic, and inhospitable to bed bugs, dust mites, and bacteria. Their sheets are guaranteed to never pill, discolor, or shred. Shop Cozy Earth here.
How to clean a bamboo pillow:
Ideally, you want to spot clean if necessary. Spot cleaning can often However, the entire pillow does need to be cleaned throughly from time to time to avoid dust mites, other debris, and an unpleasant smell. Sometimes you just need a deep cleaning.
To wash in your washing machine:
1) Use the rinse cycle only. Do not spin. Gentle cycle or delicate cycle can be appropriate if you do not have a rinse cycle only option. A short washing cycle is all you need. The spin cycle can damage the internal fibers causing the pillow to lose its shape (and can even possibly void the warranty). For best results use lukewarm water. You want to avoid a high temperature. While handing washing is a gentler method, I prefer to machine wash my pillows for ease.
2) Use a very gentle detergent or mild detergent. You do not need very much detergent to wash your pillow. I recommend 2-3 tablespoons which is significantly less than what you would use for a regular load of laundry. Using a small amount of detergent makes it easier to rinse the detergent out.
For hand washing your pillow:
1) Fill a tub, bucket or basket with lukewarm water. Add 2-3 tablespoons of a gentle detergent to the water.
2) Add your pillow to the water. Gently move the pillow in the water with your hands. Light movement is all that is necessary. Avoid letting your pillow soak for an extended period of time. Rinse the pillow with clean water and warm water until no detergent is left in the pillow.
3) When putting your pillow in the dryer, dry on delicate or low heat. It’s a good idea to add 2-3 tennis balls or dryer balls to the cycle to help the pillow retain it’s shape. This will help you avoid the clumping of the filling. Putting two pillows in the dryer at the same time can also have a similar effect to tennis balls. Still use the low tumble cycle.
4) Hang dry or lay dry in the sunlight for a couple of hours. Sunlight is naturally refreshing for bamboo pillows. Allow your pillow to finish drying in the sunlight (flip over when one side is dry to dry the other side). Use a pillow hanger or let it dry on a flat surface. Air drying is a great way to dry your pillow and avoid potential damage from the dryer.
Make sure the whole pillow is dry before putting it back in a pillow case and on your bed! A wet pillow can grow mold.
To naturally freshen your bamboo pillow:
The best way Hang dry in mild to moderate sunlight once every 3-5 months for 1-3 hours. Bamboo fibers naturally rejuvenate and refresh in direct sunlight.
When in doubt follow the care instructions on your specific pillow. This will help you pillow last a long time! Proper care of your bamboo pillow will allow it to last longer and extend the life of your pillow.
There’s nothing like a clean pillow, am I right? Happy sleeping!