Hands down, the 1951 version of Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite movies. Ever. I watch it when I am happy, I watch it when I am sad.
Oddly enough, I also watch it when I feel lost, disconnected, or just looking to feel grounded again.
Disney’s version of the Lewis Carroll classic has taught me so much about life and myself. Who knew you could learn so much from a story about a daydreaming girl?
A Quick Summary of Alice in Wonderland
Alice in Wonderland is a classic novel and film that follows Alice, a daydreamer, as she falls down a rabbit hole into an exciting and strange world.
Along the way, Alice meets eccentric characters and embarks on a fantastic journey of self-discovery.
The 1951 Disney animated version of the story has become widely beloved for its whimsical and magical elements. It is a timeless tale that will captivate both adults and children alike.
Alice and her whimsical adventures have taught me four lessons that I somehow manage to apply to the craziness of being a twenty-something.
May Alice’s shenanigans lend you some wisdom as well.
4 Critical Lessons From Alice In Wonderland
1. There is magic in your dreams.
Alice experienced possibly the coolest daydream in history. This is one of the most important life lessons of Alice’s adventures. We need to believe in impossible things.
Alice in Wonderland taught me that a dream and a little curiosity can go a long way; just look at all of the characters that she encountered and places she went.
As a twenty-something, I think a lot of us are curious about life and ourselves. We have dreams and aspirations. Do not be afraid to explore them.
Now is the time to do so.
We are young and energetic. Let the magic of your dreams take you for a ride. You never know what you may discover about yourself or where you might end up.
2. Sometimes you will feel lost.
I love this life lesson. Remember the scene when Alice is in Tulgey Wood? She was chasing the white rabbit and decided to give up because she was making no headway in catching him.
She sang about giving herself “very good advice” but hardly ever following it.
There will come a time in your twenties when you may feel uncertain, confused, or lost. Most of the time I would like to think that we know what to do.
Intuition is strong and usually right.
Do not be afraid to trust yourself. What seems like a good deal might not be. Some people do things without much care – the best people listen to their gut warnings.
When Alice started chose not to give up, she found the white rabbit again.
But lost is sometimes the first step in becoming who you are supposed to be. This is one of the story’s most important lessons.
3. You are adaptable.
You are clever and resilient.
Do not be afraid of what life sends your way or where you will end up.
Alice ended up in all sorts of situations. She got stuck in the white rabbit’s house, she got made fun of by a group of flowers, yelled at by a smoking caterpillar, attended an un-birthday party, and played croquet with the Queen of Hearts.
Through all of these peculiar situations, Alice found herself adapting, singing “A Golden
Afternoon,” swinging flamingos with the queen, and sipping tea with the March Hare.
Remember to be flexible in life.
4. Life is a little nonsensical sometimes.
It does not always make sense. Life can be exciting, frustrating, stressful and silly. Do not take yourself or life so seriously all of the time.
Lighten up, explore the world, be brave, be yourself and live your life to the fullest in your own Wonderland.
5. Believe in yourself.
Alice was timid and unsure of herself when she first entered Wonderland, but she soon realized that if she believed in her own strength and intelligence, anything was possible.
Just think of all the creatures she befriended and enemies she outwitted! We can learn from Alice to believe in ourselves, and to never give up on our goals, no matter how improbable they may seem.
6. Embrace the unexpected.
Alice was filled with surprise and awe throughout her journey in Wonderland, embracing even the most bizarre of characters and creatures she encountered.
We can learn to have an open mind in life and to be ready to accept any wonderful opportunities that may come our way.
7. Learn to let go.
Alice had to face a few setbacks and heartaches throughout her journey, but she eventually learned that sometimes it is best to just let go and move on.
We can all learn from Alice to not get too attached to any particular outcome, as life has its own way of taking us on unexpected adventures.
8. Curiosity can lead to great things.
Alice was able to explore Wonderland and gain new knowledge through her curiosity and willingness to try something new.
As twenty-somethings, sometimes it feels like we are stuck in a rut or don’t know which direction to take next. However, we can learn from Alice to be curious and explore the possibilities life has to offer.
Alice was willing to explore the possibilities in wonderland. Her curiosity led her to new knowledge and a greater understanding of herself and the world that she inhabited.
We can take this same attitude of exploration and use it in our own lives, as an opportunity for growth and learning
9. Embrace your inner child.
Alice had a unique ability to see the world through a childlike lens, embracing silliness, playfulness and fun in her adventures.
We can learn to embrace our inner child and not take ourselves too seriously, no matter how daunting life can be.
The cheshire cat and the mad hatter both teach us this important lesson.
10. Follow your dreams.
Alice followed her curiosities and wildest dreams, showing us all that anything is possible when you believe in yourself and never give up on your goals.
No matter how far-fetched they may seem, following our dreams can take us on an adventure of self-discovery and fulfillment that we would never have expected.
Life is an adventure and filled with magical possibilities – follow your dreams just like Alice did! You can also through caution to the wind and do it without much care to the “should’s” and “what if’s” of life.
Sometimes we need this reminder that it’s okay to follow your dreams to reach new heights and high goals.
Even if someone else thinks your goals are about impracticable things… they have no say over what you can and can’t achieve. They don’t have the least bit of say over your life.
In Summary: Lessons From Alice in Wonderland
No matter the situation, Alice was always able to explore her surroundings, embrace what she found and make it work for her. We can learn from Alice to find beauty in our own lives and to use it as an opportunity for growth and learning.
Alice showed us that it’s important to be flexible, have faith in yourself, embrace the unexpected, and to never give up on your dreams – these are lessons we can carry with us throughout life.
So take a page out of Alice’s book and live life like you’re in your own wonderland.
Although Alice is one of the youngest Disney heroines, her journey down the rabbit hole revealed lessons that even us twenty-somethings can learn from. Look into the looking glass – you never know what you might find in the most unexpected places.
More Posts To Read on Self-Development:
- How Personal Development Changed My Life
- The 5 Areas Of Personal Development
- 20 of the Best Books For Finding Your Purpose (2023)
- 23 Goals To Set In 2023: Goal Ideas For Self Investment
- Hobbies For Women In Their 20s (101+ Ideas To Inspire You)
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Book Summary
- Bucket List Ideas: 50 Things To Consider for Your Bucket List
- 30 Things to Do Before You Turn 30: Bucket List 30 Before 30
- What Is Personal Development?
- Self-Development in Your Twenties: Why Is It Important To Actively Challenge Yourself?
- 30-Day Declutter Challenge
- 5 Books Written By Women to Read for Self Development
- 35 Affirmations for Confidence
- 90+ Affirmations For Confidence and Self Love
- 95 Affirmations for Confidence
- 100 Unique Affirmations For Friends
Other College Posts You Might Like:
- 30 Activities For College Students
- The Best Summer Jobs for College Students
- 50 Short Term Goals For College
- 100 College Event Ideas for Students on Campus 
- 20 Best Dorm Shopping Websites For College Students
- The Best Router For a College Apartment and Dorm 
- Best College for Dermatology – Top 12
- 7 Activities for College Students To De-Stress
- 14 Best Ways To Organize For College Classes
- 15 Cute Backpacks For College Students
- 100+ College Party Ideas
- How Many Weeks in a Semester of College?
- 5 Birthday Party Themes For Your 21st Birthday
- 90+ 20th Birthday Quotes For Instagram
- 70+ Academic Goals for College
- 50 Best Movies For College Students
- 30 Best Places To Volunteer For College Applications
- Advice For New College Students: 30+ Tips
- 75 College Date Ideas (That Won’t Break the Bank)
- 23 Proud Graduation Quotes for a College Graduation
- 5 Agenda Books For College Students (2023)
- 47 Extracurricular Activities To Put On Your College Application
- 4 Sample Email to College Admissions Office
- 10 Perfect Gifts For MBA Students
- 32 Fraternity Party Theme Ideas
- 117 Good College Private Story Names