This post is brought to you by the Mint Julep Boutique Editorial Team.
Summer is the season for sunshine, smiles and major fashion statements! As hemlines and temperatures rise, there’s really no better time of year to play with bright colors and bold prints – but it still takes some effort and creativity to style outfits that look polished and put-together.
To inspire your warm-weather wardrobe this year, here are 10 fashion dos (and don’ts) for summer 2020:
1. Mix sneakers with skirts to give off the ultimate cool-girl vibes.
Sneakers provide the perfect balance to dressy summer staples like flowy skirts. The key to making this look work is to keep from combining too many colors and patterns, as well as sticking to a midi length.
- Crisp, white sneakers look fresh when styled with a fresh white T-shirt and a poppy printed skirt.
- Mix a tank top with a blush slip skirt and chunky sneakers for a street-style-inspired pairing.
- Printed socks are unexpected and super cool when paired with a denim skirt, low top sneakers and a crop top.
This outfit combo is comfortable enough for weekend errands, yet stylish enough for a date. Simply freshen up your makeup and accessories to easily take the look from day to night!
2. Offer up a flirty, romantic look with voluminous puff sleeves.
If there ever were a wardrobe detail that could instantly make you feel like a Disney princess, it’s puff sleeves! They create a flirty silhouette and add sweetness to any outfit. In order to make this trend feel now – not from the ‘80s – keep the rest of your outfit less voluminous.
- Pick a puff sleeve dress in a gentle fabric that rests over your hips. The flowing movement it makes when you walk is super romantic!
- A puff sleeve crop top feels so on trend when styled with high waisted shorts and white sneakers.
- If you’re looking for a minimal effect, pick a fabric-like cotton so the poof factor isn’t too dramatic.
3. Combine feminine details with rocker edginess.
Photo-ready street style continues to be a trend as we approach summer 2020, and some of the most inspired looks combine feminine silhouettes with the bold edginess of punk rock.
- Keep frilly summer dresses from looking too sugary sweet by stepping into a pair of chunky, black combat boots.
- Denim shorts and strappy, floral sandals become instantly concert-ready when you top the outfit off with a slick faux leather jacket.
- Balance out a fluffy tulle skirt with a studded handbag.
4. Embrace bucket hats.
What’s better than an accessory that’s both practical and adorable? Bucket hats aren’t just the perfect finishing touch for any summer outfit, but they also help protect your eyes and scalp from the sun! For a bucket hat to look trendy, instead of childish, it needs to be styled with grown-up staples.
- An all-white athleisure outfit gets a trendy upgrade with a black bucket hat.
- Pair a peach-colored bucket hat with shorts, a white T-shirt and chunky white sneakers.
- Add some charm to a date night look by wearing a neutral bucket hat with a frilly summer dress.
5. Style swimsuits for the beach, and the boardwalk.
Even if everything seems to move a little bit slower in the summer, it doesn’t mean that there’s no use for multipurpose style staples! Cute swimsuits that look great poolside can transition into a carefree outfit for a night on the town. All it takes are a few simple swaps.
- A one piece swimsuit with ruffled sleeves becomes an adorable bodysuit once you put on a skirt and sandals.
- Bikini tops become cool cropped shirts as soon as you add a pair of high waisted shorts and platform sneakers.
6. Have fun with playful, colorful jewelry.
The easiest, most affordable way to play with seasonal trends is with inexpensive accessories. Trend forward jewelry doesn’t have to break the bank, but it can certainly make the outfit!
- Seashell jewelry is a major trend for summer 2020. Layer a few necklaces over a simple top to add a touch of the tropics to your look.
- Colorful costume jewelry brightens up any outfit, like earrings that draw attention to your beautiful face!
- Pearls look fresh, not stuffy or old fashioned, when paired with an athleisure-inspired outfit.
7. Look cute, but stay comfy, in flowy summer dresses.
Comfy, flowy summer dresses are destined to be your newest wardrobe staples for the warmest season! Stock up on breathable styles that keep you cool even when the temps are hot, and choose a mix of colors and patterns. They’re extremely versatile and so easy to style.
- Feed your wanderlust in a floral maxi dress, a straw hat and sandals.
- A satin dress in a creamy mauve color will get you through all of wedding season in style.
- Go casual by mixing a fit and flare dress with your most comfortable sneakers.
8. Don’t buy impractical pieces just for the sake of “fashion.”
Every season, new trends emerge that either last for several years, or fizzle out after a few months. When deciding what pieces to invest in for the summer, try to think about practicality over fashion, first.
- Teeny, tiny handbags that don’t even fit your phone might not be the most useful accessory.
- Uncomfortable shoes can make even the best experiences unpleasant.
- Slim sunglasses might look cool, but they won’t do much if they don’t block the sun.
9. Don’t pile on too many trends at once.
There are so many fun trends this season, and what’s magical about them is that each is inspired by something different. While every trend, individually, has the potential to transform an outfit, piling on too many contrasting pieces at once can make for an overwhelming look.
10. Don’t dress like a stranger.
Above all, your summer style should be a reflection of who you are as a person. Pick outfits and trends that reflect your interests. You’ll look (and feel) most confident when you’re wearing something you truly love.
SUNSHINE AND SMILES
There’s nothing quite like sweet summertime, and all of the fun fashion trends that come along with it! From flirty dresses to edgy accessories, this year’s fashion dos are inspired by so many different types of styles.