When was the last time you just prioritized spending time with your partner? These backyard date night ideas are easy ways to make it happen!
Having a backyard date is a genius idea. It makes use of the space you already have and is a great way to spend time with your partner on a budget.
Plus, you don’t have to go anywhere and deal with crowds or traffic. Talk about a win-win!
Backyard dates are perfect year round but are especially fun in the warmer months. It’s nice to get outside in the evenings when the weather is cool but not cold in the evenings.
It will be great to have a romantic night in while getting some fresh air and spending time with your partner.
If you’re looking for backyard date ideas, there are many ways you can go about it to have an amazing date night in your backyard and the great outdoors!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, GenTwenty may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting this resource.
Here are 50 ideas to inspire your next backyard date night to be a success:
There are different ways you can go about doing a movie night for date night! Here are some ideas to inspire you.
1. Have a movie night and set up a projector or big screen TV outdoors. Bring out some blankets, pillows, and snacks for the ultimate backyard movie experience. Use a projector to make it easy!
2. Borrow or buy a popcorn maker and have an outdoor movie snack night! You could of course make it yourself inside, but making popcorn outdoors will add something extra fun to your movie experience.
3. Set the tone for your movie night with fun lighting. Set up an outdoor movie night with paper lanterns or string lights as your light source – it’ll make it feel like you’re in a real movie theater!
4. Get comfortable with cozy seating. Set up big, cozy blankets, bean bag chairs, or even an outdoor couch so you can enjoy the stars in the sky while watching your favorite movie. You could even set up an air mattress for a romantic date night.
5. Rent or buy an inflatable movie screen! Show your favorite movies in the backyard for an unforgettable movie night! This inflatable movie screen is amazing for showing movies outside.
6. Set up a drive-in movie night in the backyard so you can enjoy a classic outdoor experience. How romantic would it be to watch a movie from your car in your backyard? Don’t forget the bluetooth speakers to have surround sound in your car!
7. Go big or go home with a movie marathon. Have an outdoor movie marathon with your favorite movies from the comfort of your backyard.
Make Some Food and Drinks
Here are some amazing ideas to take your food and drink to the next level on your backyard date.
8. Set up a cozy outdoor dinner picnic with your favorite food and drinks. It’s especially romantic if you light some candles to set the mood! Get a picnic blanket and grab sandwiches from somewhere local and enjoy!
8. Start a bonfire and roast marshmallows for s’mores. S’mores are always delicious. Get yourself a s’mores kit — they are actually really affordable! — so you can do this often! It’s also the perfect reason to snuggle up and talk while you watch the fire burn.
9. Create a DIY bar in your backyard and make some fun drinks together! Make it interesting by creating a signature drink for the night – you can even name it after yourselves. This is a better way to get to know your partner and have a little bit of fun while you’re at it!
10. Have an outdoor wine and cheese tasting night. It’s like having your own little winery in the backyard! Get some local wines and do a wine tasting together alone with a charcuterie board. If wine isn’t your thing, do hot chocolate or apple cider instead! This is one of the best outdoor date ideas in my opinion!
11. Cook dinner together on an outdoor grill. You can even cook some tasty snacks like bacon-wrapped pineapple or jalapeno poppers for a fun twist on dinner. This easy grill can be used almost anywhere!
12. Have a barbecue night with burgers and hot dogs grilling on the outdoor grill. Truly nothing beats some delicious food and good company!
13. Have a romantic candlelit fondue dinner. Hang up some twinkling lights, soft music, and delicious fondue! A kit makes this so easy to do.
Play Sports Together
Have fun sitting and chatting but getting up to play a game gets your blood pumping plus
14. Have a game night! Set up a ladder ball, cornhole, or giant Jenga in the backyard and play some games together.
15. Play badminton or go for a casual game of volleyball on your lawn. These games can be competitive, romantic, and a workout — all in one!
16. Do Zumba or yoga together. Blast some music and have an outdoor yoga or Zumba class together – it’ll be fun and you can get a good workout in too.
17. Set up an outdoor obstacle course. Have a competition to see who can do it faster. This is such a fun idea, from setting up the obstacle course to competing in it, you’ll both have a great time!
18. Make your own mini-golf course in the backyard with some cups and a few golf clubs. It’s easier than you think! You can get mini golf sets on Amazon.
19. Play horseshoes or bocce ball on the lawn for a fun game night that everyone can enjoy. These games can become a fixture of your backyard and be played over and over again!
20. If you have a pool, set up some floating chairs and candles and take a romantic dip together. Or if you don’t have a pool, buy an inflatable one and set it up in the backyard for some summer fun!
21. Set up an outdoor yoga class and practice your sun salutations together under the stars. How romantic does a night time yoga class sound?!
22. Rent a bouncy castle and have a silly jumping session in the backyard for some extra fun! This is something I love doing in the summer months!
23. Have an art night and paint something together. On canvas or do something creative like paint the patio furniture together!
24. Have spa night. Have a spa night in your backyard and pamper each other with face masks, foot soaks, or massages.
25. Set up some lawn chairs and have an outdoor concert with your own music! Set up your stereo and replay your favorite songs. If you’re married, you could even replay your wedding songs together. If you can’t have live music, pre-recorded music is just as great!
26. Have a karaoke night and take turns singing each other’s favorite songs! Along the same tune, why not pick each others songs or record yourself singing for the memories.
27. Dance together. Set up an outdoor dance floor and have a romantic couples dance session under the stars. String up some fairy lights in the yard and turn it into an outdoor dance floor for your own disco night!
28. Play cards by the fire. Keep it low key by lighting a fire and sit nearby with snacks while playing cards and chatting. You could also use conversational cards to talk about interesting topics!
29. Play frisbee golf. This is a supper easy way to have some friendly competition while you have a fun date! You can be a little active and also have drinks and a light dinner after.
30. Have a backyard staycation. Set up a tent in the yard with pillows, blankets, and snacks. Tell each other stories and enjoy your own private camping trip.
31. Take fun pictures together. Set up an outdoor photo booth with props and take silly pictures to remember your date night.
32. Have an outdoor art session. Create some fun crafts together like birdhouses, flowerpots, or wind chimes. Then you can keep these things around to remember your special time together!
33. Beautify your yard together. Plant some flowers or vegetables together in the garden for a fun afternoon of gardening.
34. Go night fishing with your partner. Nothing beats the peace and quiet of a night in nature! This works best if you have a fishing hole nearby that you can get set up at.
35. Set up an outdoor stargazing session. Bring some binoculars or a telescope to get a closer look at the night sky!
36. Set up giant games. Have an outdoor game night with giant versions of your favorite board games such as Jenga, chess, or checkers.
37. Play water games. Have a water balloon fight with each other. Or set up a mini-bubble station to cool off in the summer heat.
38. Set up a treasure hunt for each other. Hide clue around the backyard and end it with a surprise gift at the finish line.
39. Play hide-and-seek or tag. Either of these games will take you right back to childhood. Play around the backyard for some fun and games! Laughing is good for the soul and good for your relationship. Playing these in the dark adds an extra layer of fun.
40. Play ping pong. Set up a ping pong table in the yard and challenge each other to a thrilling game of ping pong.
41. Play a game of croquet or lawn darts in the yard for an old-fashioned game night! The best part is you can keep these sets for years to come!
42. Do a scavenger hunt. There are pre-made scavenger hunts you can buy or you can design you own!
Romantic Ideas For Backyard Dates
43. Soak in the hot tub together while sipping on some bubbly. If you don’t have a hot tub, there are actually inflatable ones you can get for a great deal!
44. Eat a candle-light dinner outside. Dress up like you would if you were at a 5-star restaurant and either cook or get takeout from one of your favorite dinner places nearby. A romantic dinner is a fun way to spend time together.
45. Share ice cream. Make ice cream sundaes together and enjoy it under a cozy blanket.
46. Stargaze. This one doesn’t involve anything special. All you need to have a good time is the great outdoors and a cozy blanket! Leave your phones inside and just gaze up at the stars.
47. Watch the sunset together. Enjoy the beautiful colors and the peacefulness of nature as you watch one of the most beautiful things in life together.
48. Sing or play a musical instrument together. Whether it’s singing your favorite songs, playing guitar, or just strumming away on a ukulele – music always brings people closer and is an amazing way to spend time with your partner.
49. Go for a romantic moonlight stroll together. Take in all the peacefulness of nature and enjoy one another’s company without any distractions around you – just nature, each other and love!
50. Go on a midnight swim. Whether you have a pool or just a pond, swimming under the stars is an unforgettable way to spend time with your partner.
How To Set The Mood For a Fun Backyard Date
Whether it’s a first date, a double date, or your 100th date, there are plenty of ways to really set the mood for a backyard date.
1. Set the right atmosphere with lighting. String lights, paper lanterns or tiki torches create a relaxed and intimate atmosphere for your date night. If you can swing it, get a fire pit. It will be useful for making s’mores as well as setting the mood.
2. Play some music that you both enjoy to set a romantic mood. You could do this during dinner or while relaxing together in the hot tub or playing games. Music is always the perfect way to set the tone.
3. Add special touches like rose petals or candles to make the area look and feel romantic. You don’t have to go overboard but getting flowers is a great opportunity to take the date to the next level.
4. Have a selection of drinks and snacks ready so you don’t have to leave your cozy spot. This is especially a good idea if you’re planning to stargaze or watch a movie.
5. Bring out the blankets and pillows for extra comfort as you watch the stars together or take a midnight swim! Think of things you’ll need ahead of time so you’re not going back inside every five minutes. That’s the perfect way to ruin the evening. For example, if you’re swimming, have towels set out ahead of time. If you’re camping, have everything set up, including sleeping bags.
6. Get creative with decorations like a chalkboard menu, flowers, or love notes around the yard. These extra special touches aren’t necessary but they make the comfort of your own home really feel like a special occasion. It’s a unique way to take your date to the next level.
7. Use scented candles to fill the air with nice aromatic smells that will help you unwind and relax together! And of course, practice safe practices if you have your candles outside.
8. Choose an activity that you both enjoy such as board games or even a cozy movie night under the stars. Bonus points if you can have a great conversation while playing! Video games might be fun but it’s hard to really connect with your partner if you spend all night playing them and not talking.
Final Thoughts on Backyard Date Ideas
No matter what outdoor date night ideas you choose, it’s important to remember that quality time together is most important! Enjoy each other’s company and create memories that will last for years to come.
If quality time is you or your partner’s love language, you’ll have a great time spending time together. Outdoor dates are really special in a lot of ways. And if you don’t have a backyard? Try going to a local park to experience the great outdoors!
I hope this list of fun outdoor date ideas inspires you to have a good time with your partner!