The birds are chirping, the sun is peeking through your blinds at six in the morning and you are throwing the covers off because of how stifling hot your room is. Welcome to summer my friends! Unless you live is a place that pretty much has permanent summer all year round such as California or Mexico, then you can understand the longing we have to see the snow melt and summer fun to begin. Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind winter. All the hot chocolates by the fire on those chilly nights, the winter activities like snowboarding, and the picturesque scene as you look out your front door. However, lets not beat around the bush here: summer rocks. So let’s make the most of it!
Since summer has now begun, I have complied a list of ways to make the most of your summer. It’s time to get out of the house and shake off those winter blues!
1) Have a picnic – With the weather being so great, it’s always fun to make some sandwiches, grab a few beers, and head out to a local park. Get some friends together, even bring a Frisbee or a football and just have fun enjoying the sun!
2) Take up the hobby you have been putting off – Whether it’s learning to fly a kite, trying to knit, or trying to learn a new language. The best part about summer is you can learn new things while enjoying the gorgeous weather at the same time.
3) Take up a new sport with friends – If you live in a big city, there are often clubs in the area that you can join and play some soccer, volleyball, basketball or even Frisbee golf. It’s a fun way to add some competitiveness while joking around with your pals.
4) Get a green thumb – Summer is the perfect opportunity to start growing those fruits and vegetables you have always wanted. Why not take advantage of the sun and save some money at the same time. Nothing better than fresh raspberries or carrots from a garden right in your backyard.
5) Be a tourist in your own town – No matter where we live, we can sometimes forget to check out our own hometown instead of going elsewhere for vacations. Why not check out those cool stores that are only blocks from your house, or go see the museum that you haven’t been to since grade school. It can be fun to explore your own backyard while taking advantage of the longer days that summer brings.
6) Kick up your fitness routine – Sometimes during the winter, we tend to be more of a homebody than wanting to exercise. Cuddling up with a blanket watching a movie seems way more entertaining than putting on five layers in minus 25 to head to the gym. However, the great summer weather allows you to shake off those winter blues! So grab your bike that has been collecting dust in the garage, or find a friend and go running through the parks in your city. You are getting fit and exploring your hometown at the same time. Sounds like a win/win situation to me.
7) Make a no TV policy – Even though there are some great shows that come on in the summer, watching TV inside is a winter activity, let’s be honest. So, why not make a pact with yourself. Maybe decide that you’ll only watch TV on Sunday nights, or that you will turn it off completely. There are so many more things you can do with your time during the summer. Why not grab that book you have been putting off instead? Or go check out a band playing in your local park? With the days being so long in the summer, why not stay outside for as long as possible? You get some vitamin D and fresh air at the same time.
8) Give your car a makeover – One thing that sucks about winter is that the cold weather makes it impossible to maintain your car unless you have a heated garage. It’s time to break out the summer rims, give your car a good cleaning and allow your friends to flail their arms out of your sunroof. Because why not? It’s summer!
9) Start a blog – One of the best parts about summer is all the crazy and unplanned adventures you end up going on, so why not share your good times with the world? Maybe someone can learn something from what you write, or maybe you just want to have a place where you can keep your family up to date with what you are doing without having to send every single one of them a Facebook message. It may even turn into something more that you will enjoy all year long, who knows!
10) Make a list of things you want to do in your life – It’s been shown over and over again that people are a lot more motivated in the summer compared to the winter. Now there are a lot of things that come into play with that conclusion, but with that being said, why not plan out all the things you want to do. So make a list of all the things you want to accomplish in your life. Whether it be goals or adventures you’d like to go on, it’s time to take advantage of the summer and start tackling the things on your new list. It will be a way do things you’ve always wanted and it can be fun to challenge yourself to do things you never thought you could.
So what are you waiting for? Summer is here and it’s time to make the most of it! Life is all about exploring and getting the most you can out of the time we are given. The world around us is such a beautiful place and it deserves to be experienced.