Are you a shopaholic? It’s okay, me too. That’s why I’m here to tell you it’s perfectly normal to have a passion for fashion and want to splurge more than the average person. Even if you aren’t a big spender or don’t need to have the latest fashions, there are creative ways to still stay on top of the best deals.
I believe that each person’s wardrobe is a statement to the world and a representation of themselves. This includes: style, spunk, personality, edge, innocence, grace, beauty, and bewilderment. Yes, clothing can say a lot. With such a powerful influence, isn’t it important to know where to turn to?
As a shopping professional, I pride myself in the ability to take advantage of every sale and promotion (as long as I can afford it) and know that I’m getting the best deal possible.
As long as you discipline yourself financially when needed, your shopping problem will become a solution. Because we all know retail therapy is one of the best out there.
Here’s how to get the best deals possible:
One of the best ways to stay on top of the promotions going on, is to have the right means of receiving them. I like to keep track of sales by having straight access.
You may think that having such exposure to the promotions would make you a mad-shopper, but it actually does the opposite.
Ironically, seeing that there’s always sales going on really proves that you’re not missing out on much. You start to see trends and realize that these sales come around quite frequently thus preventing FOMO (fear of missing out.)
Here are the tools I recommend you take advantage of:
- Email. Subscribing to retail store email signups are the way to go. Some label these emails as spam, I label them as a gold mine. I get updates from my favorite retail stores EVERYDAY. If I know I need something, all I have to do is scroll down and look for buzz words in the email title. I’ll know right away if they have what I’m looking for.
- Rewards programs. Signing up for a rewards program is not the same as signing up for a credit card. These programs are what they like to call customer loyalty. They add up your points and provide incentives for shopping at their stores. You can put the cards on keys, stock them in your wallet, and use them whenever you make a purchase. It’s basically a card that keeps track of your activity and rewards you for it. Before you know it you’ll have access to discounts and free gifts.
- Smart phone apps. Almost every retail store has an app to go with it. Most are designed to help you and your shopping experience be the best one possible. They offer their deals, new styles and organization for selecting clothes based on your personal taste. A lot of stores will honor certain discounts and promotions ONLY if you have their app downloaded. Some even provide discounts just by checking in at their location. Use this to your advantage and never leave the house without your smart phone!
- Mailers. Sign up for the mailing list and you’ll have promotions and rewards sent to you EVERY MONTH. I’m serious, I receive them monthly. I can always choose to use them or not use them because I always know I’ll just be getting another one sooner or later.
- Magazines. Although the fashion magazines don’t always provide rewards or codes to use for shopping, they definitely have the best advice for deals. They provide the top notch fashion icons and styles for the seasons and provide authentic stores that you may have not considered before. It’s a good buy and a way to keep yourself educated in the fashion world.
The following are my go-to stores for shopping:
Forever 21 – Fashionable styles in every category. They are my go-to for any article of clothing that I need specifically. Forever always has it. From a cute cropped top, to high waisted jeans to a lacy headband, you’ll always find it here.
H&M – Staple item central. H&M has all the essentials for every season and for a very reasonable price. My winter gear consist mostly of H&M apparel because they always have the most comfortable clothing for the most affordable price.
Target – Believe it or not, Target provides quality products and prices for a competitive price. It’s hard to leave this store without picking something out, whether it be a new pair of flip flops, a bathing suit or some chunky jewelry.
TJ Maxx/Marshall’s – High-end fashion for exceptional prices. These stores provide the top fashion clothing but provide them in a cost you can afford. There’s good finds in this store that you may not find elsewhere which makes it so unique. And no two stores are the same.
Express – A higher end retail store with pricier clothing but the utmost sophistication. The reason I suggest Express is because of the quality of clothing and the rewards you receive. Express is reliable for buying in bulk because they offer discounts when you spend a certain amount.
Victoria’s Secret – One of the most favored retail stores for women of all generations. Victoria’s Secret, with it’s pricy and valued clothing, also has some great deals year round. The sales take place quite frequently and like many stores, the more you spend, the more you get.
There’s so many others just like these. Find the ones you like best and become aware of how they operate. Sales, promotions, discounts, quality, consistency and customer service are all qualities to consider when investing in retail. Make sure you choose wisely.
Because let’s face it, we all love to shop. By staying smart and indulging in these sweet sensations, you’ll know that you’re doing more repair rather than damage.
My best tip is to be patient. Hardly any deal is truly limited–In most cases it will be back so there’s no need to spend tons of money on impulse purchases. As a savvy shopper, you know to shop around, sign up for rewards programs, and the secrets to saving your cash while you shop.
Work hard so you can participate in these splurges, but don’t over do it. If you’re a fashionista, you’ll find a way to remain a realistic one.