When it comes to animals, everyone either prefers dogs or cats. Everyone always says that dogs are better, friendlier, and have an awareness of human emotions, but what about cats? They need loving too!
(If you can’t tell already, I am most definitely a cat person.)
The low-maintenance type, cats are the animal you can leave alone for a day or two and be fine if you decide to take a mini trip. They require no potty breaks at 5 am or daily walks. Cats are very content with life and if they want to cuddle, you’ll find them on your lap in seconds. If not, they’re probably off sleeping in the sun somewhere.
So, do you want to know if you’re classified as a crazy cat lady? Let’s see how much you relate to these things:
You treat them like a baby.
Rather than having an actual baby, your cat is your fur baby. Anyone with a cat can attest to when I say this because it’s 100 percent true.
In our apartment, we sleep with the door closed because otherwise, our cat Matilda, would jump on everything. Every morning she head butts and swipes the door while crying until one of us comes out to tend to her. Some mornings it’s been at 4:30 am because once you start a habit they won’t forget. There is no ignoring her!
Every time you leave for work or head out for a date night, you feel like you’re leaving your child alone. She sits there and stares into your soul with those cute puss n’ boot eyes that has you petting and kissing her goodbye. The funnier part is if you don’t see her, you go hunt her down before you leave to kiss her goodbye. (Although, she doesn’t like to be pulled from under the bed for goodbyes, I know she misses us when we’re gone.)
You feed your cat better than you feed yourself.
Only a crazy cat lady would provide her precious fur baby with Fancy Feast for dinner. Fancy Feast comes in all different flavors such as Chicken and Liver, Turkey Feast and Gravy, and Beef. Bon appétit!
Tilly knows exactly when she eats, which is when we get home from work. On weekends, she’s still a bit confused because it’ll be noon and she’s already begging for her Fancy Feast. While she’s chowing down, we’re having a bowl of cereal or cheese, crackers and wine. Haha!
Whenever they want to play, you’ll do whatever it takes to keep their attention.
Cats are very playful–at least ours is! We don’t have much room to play within our 800 sq. ft. apartment, but we make do by playing hide and go seek as well as chase and catch. If we see her hiding behind our many (Hershey display) boxes, we get real low and hide as well. Every time you come up to see where she is she’s magically a couple inches closer. What a rascal!
Tilly also loves a good game of chase with an old shoe lace with a soft mouse tied to the end of it. We’ll run around the apartment or throw it back and forth as if we were going cat-fishing! Catch isn’t just for dogs, mind you. Cats love when you toss them a soft ball half the size of their own bodies. As she’s laying down mermaid style (as I call it), she’ll catch it right between her paws. If Air Bud was made into a cat movie, she’d be the star.
You’ve seriously thought about saying, “Sorry, I can’t hang out tonight–I’ve got plans with my cat.”
This is the ultimate crazy cat lady confession. The truth is you genuinely enjoy spending time with your cat. They understand you like no human does. They see you at your best and your worst, and even if they are silently judging you for it, it’s okay because they still love you (even if it’s just because you’re the only one that feeds them).
As a crazy cat lady, there are some moments where you laugh, scream and not want to see them for days. They make messes, hide things, sometimes ruin things, but despite all that, you’re always still going to be a cat person.
Here are five things all cat owners can relate to:
- Coming home to not see them greet you at the door. You search everywhere until you hear crying and swiping noises coming from the bedroom closet. Yup, she was locked in there all day.
- Dolphin noises. I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this with their cat, but a dolphin-like noise projects from her mouth whenever she spots a fly inside or a light reflection on the wall.
- The hairballs and throw up. Sounds gross, I know. Not much to this one but you want to gag.
- The “holy shit what is that” gesture. If your cat hasn’t seen something before–such as a toilet paper full roll by itself or underwear laying in the bathroom–they immediately get curious and slowly reach out their paw. Once the paw is out, they go to town with batting the crap out of it. If you’ve never seen this, think of a machine gun and how fast they go!
- Cats love drinking things that aren’t their own. Whether enjoying cereal in the morning or a glass of water on the couch, she’ll wiggle her way onto your lap and nearly slam dunk her paw to get some.
So, to all of the crazy cat ladies out there I say go embrace your inner crazy cat lady if you haven’t already!