Riding a bike is one of those activities that I never really gave a chance. Walking or taking the car always seemed more convenient, which admittedly, isn’t the right frame of mind – at all. There are plenty of people out there who take advantage of biking and see it’s benefits. But our generation tends to be a bit lazy in a way – we try to make everything effortless. From our phones, to commuting, to reading books, we are always looking for ways to still accomplish things, but with minimal effort.
But wait, riding a bike can do that for us! There are so many benefits that you might not even be aware of yet:
1. You can save loads of money – Even though it might not seem like it, you can actually save quite a bit of money on commuting if you just make the decision to ride your bike instead of take the car or public transport. Especially if you live in a big city, riding a bike will save you a ton on gas, which we all know is going up by the day (not to mention you’ll be reducing your carbon footprint). As an added bonus, the more you start to bike ride, the less dependent you will be on your vehicle. Read: you’ll pay less for auto insurance and you’ll take your car into the shop far less often. Those people that say they need a car are lying. I’ve seen people ride their bike in -30 degrees Celsius, it can be done, I promise.
2. You can create your summer beach body – Because you are trying to save money from commuting, you will soon realize that it is great exercise. You are able to be fit and save money at the same time! What twenty-something doesn’t love those two things?! Biking is an effective form of exercise that won’t have you pounding away on the treadmill to nowhere.
3. You will be able to take more time for yourself – If you bike more often, it allows you to separate yourself from the real world for a little while. It’s just you and nature, it is a place to just think and collect your thoughts from the day. There is nothing better than breathing fresh air and being able to relieve the stress from your hectic day when you’re cruising along, just you and your bike.
4. Helping the environment – This states the obvious, but you will be helping the environment by biking to work or school or running errands. With not driving a gasoline or diesel vehicle, you are doing your part to help us all breathe clean air. As convenient as cars, trucks, and SUV’s are, they don’t do anything for our beloved earth.
5. Your knee’s, hips and ankles with thank you – When it comes to physical fitness, your body will love you for taking the bike out for a ride. Exercises such as running are very hard on the body and biking allows you to get the same level of cardio fitness without putting a ton of weight and stress on your lower body and joints.
6. It gives you a chance to bond with others – Why not invite a friend to bike ride to the mall with you, or get your significant other to ride to the store with you to get groceries. It could be a common interest between the two of you and you’ll be surprised at how much fun you’ll end up having!
7. It allows you to start your day on the right foot – Are you not a morning person? Well, try biking to work. It forces you to get up earlier and get yourself up for the day. Because you have to make extra time to bike ride, getting up early gives you time to have a proper breakfast, get packed for the day, and get on the right track. It can also help you become a morning person, because of the routine it allows you to get into.
8. It gives you a chance to explore your own city – When we get into the routine of driving everywhere, it’s easy to miss the special things about the place you live. From little parks down the street, to the city core where all the hustle and bustle is – embrace what it is in front of you.
With all of that, there’s hardly a reason not to bike ride. I was hesitant as well when I first decided to make the change to bike riding. If you’re unsure about it, just remember it doesn’t have to be all the time. I know it depends on your situation when it’s really practical to do or not do. But why not try it when you can? Just to the local grocery store or to a friend’s house that’s close by.
Just the other day I rode 10km through the river valley in my city and it was way better than I ever expected it to be. It affected me more than I thought, and I honestly can’t wait to get on my bike again. So, get our there and explore your town, get a little fitness in, bond with your partner, and enjoy the sunshine. It’s great in every possible way. Don’t forget your helmet!